Sunday, August 10, 2014

ADVENTURES IN NURSING


LET’S TALK CATHETERS

“You’re not squeezing hard enough.”  Mrs. B1 faced me across the bed and quietly, urgently repeated, “You’re not squeezing hard enough.”  Aw, geez, this was not going well.

A million thoughts raced through my brain with the speed of a downhill train.  “Why me?”  “Why me in front of Mrs. B1?”  “Why a 75-year-old male dementia patient, with the attendant 75-year-old penis??”  Okay, so it was actually only three thoughts, but they were running in a circle in my head so it might as well have been a million.  What the hell ever made me think I wanted to be a nurse??  I was not having a good time.

Sweat broke across my forehead.  My glasses slid down my nose.  I couldn’t push ‘em back up – had my sterile gloves on and my hands full of penises and catheters.  I said a silent prayer that I could get this thing done before said glasses fell off my face and on to something I didn’t want to contemplate.

I was already a nervous wreck, just from opening my supplies and setting up my sterile field under the watchful eye of my instructor.  So many things to remember – open this first, lubricate that last, yadda yadda yadda.  And now I wasn’t squeezing hard enough?  Could I catch a freakin’ break here?  Apparently not.

My poor, sweet, dear elderly patient was in no position to assist.  If I had known the troubles that awaited me, I would have snuck into his room earlier and taped a Playboy centerfold to the ceiling above his bed, for Pete’s sake.  Too late for all this wisdom now!

I soldiered on, because that’s what we nurses do, right?  Besides that, I needed the grade.  If it wasn’t this guy, it would be the next one.  Gosh, this was fun.

I’ll be honest with you.  I don’t remember now how I got through that day.  I can’t even guarantee that I completed the procedure successfully.  I assume I did because I have no memory of having to repeat it in front of Mrs. B1 again.  Yay me!  I’m pretty damn sure, though, that I didn’t “look like I knew what I was doing.”

That wasn’t my last misfortune with a catheterization either.  It happens.  They don’t always go as planned but when they do, IT IS SWEET!  I’ll tell you one thing, though.  I’m retired now and I’ll never have to do it again, and for that, I am ever so grateful.

As for that poor, dear, sweet demented man who was lucky enough to be my guinea pig, I like to think that he was either (1) blissfully unaware or (2) enjoyed the most foreplay he’d had in years

4 comments:

  1. Bwahahaha!! I'm sure his stuff hadn't been handled in "that" way, i quite awhile. Can you only imagine had it had the gumption to start rising.......... *shudder*, never mind that last sentence. Its too revolting to continue LOL! Again, I have to say..I admire everything nurses do, and what they go through...but this is something I could have never done or do. I don't have enough patience as it is...I would be so afraid I would cuss someone out, or better still, feel the urge to slap the heck outta them..and you just DON'T do that!! How many years were you in this profession? I can only imagine how you are glad you don't have to catherize ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a nurse for 17 years, Dani, and the last five were difficult for me. Being an agency nurse, I seemed to be more appreciated than the staff nurses. The lack of respect for them from management was ridiculous. I only worked in long-term care, but I imagine the situation was the same in hospitals, only with MORE stress. Unless you're in management, you're very underpaid, but that's just the opinion of one of the drones! Gee, I hope I don't discourage anyone from becoming a nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two cousins in the family that became nurses. One cousin started out in a doctor's office, and worked there for a while. Then she went on to work in a local hospital, and later became head nurse of her floor. Once she left there, she became a home nurse which she is currently doing right now, and she loves it. My other cousin is also a home nurse. I don't think a person that wants to become a nurse can become discouraged. If that is their chosen profession, they will do it, no matter what. Everyone has different experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right, Dani. It is a calling for most folks. Some go into it for the money. Some go into it for the glamour. What can be more glamorous than sticking your finger up someone's behind because they haven't pooped for five days, right?? lol The world needs more good nurses, and the profession needs less "corporation."

    ReplyDelete